I am actually a student from the TU Dortmund University but on my exchange year at Thompson Rivers University. At home I have Applied Literary- and Cultural Studies as my bilingual major and History and Psychology as my minors. I chose Canada because of its diversity. At TRU I am enrolled in History, Anthropology, English, Psychology, and First Nations Language courses. As reflected in my studies, I greatly enjoy interdisciplinary approaches because they provide a more diverse point of view. I will also integrate this into my fast approaching bachelor’s thesis which will focus in some way on country houses in Britain and/or Ireland.
(I am open for suggestions of specification)

I have always liked history, especially topics of ancient or other than “western” cultures, e.g. Vikings, Celts, and the Egyptian and Persian Empires. Unfortunately, at my home institution the focus is mostly set on Germany.

Therefore, I came to Thompson Rivers University with a background knowledge about post 1400 and advancements into the 18th and 19th century, the Age of Enlightenment, and developments and interactions of different religious denominations in Germany.

I chose the course “Canadian History until 1867” because we hardly learn anything about Canadian history in school or university and the “older” historical events are much more compelling to me. I was especially interested in Indigenous history because we simply do not have those categories in Germany.

I am taking knowledge about a completely new field home with me. Even if the topics do not fit the ones of the TU Dortmund, I am still enriched with a deeper understanding how do work historically by taking more primary sources and their different points of view into consideration.

Later I am working towards being employed in some way with the National Trust in Britain to combine conservation work with active history and human resource management. Furthermore, I am planning on working with several intercultural organisations, as well as those who promote and revitalize Indigenous cultures around the world.

To express a more rounded picture: Besides my studies I work at home in a pub, love to read and write and in my free time play co-ed. Volleyball and Pool. Here in Canada I started with swimming and Martial Arts.

Otherwise, my lifegoals are to travel as much as I can and get to know different cultures and people from all over the world to learn from them.